Tricks of the Trade: SEC+ Edition:
Today’s tech post is specific to those who are a part of our geek world. If you have had any interest in or knowledge of what an SEC+ certification is, this one’s for you. In our neck of the woods there is a growing group of people that have SEC+ certs, but those interested should be made aware of the lengthy process to better plan for the future. Once certified, there is a continued level of practice and education required to make the certification useful and practical in your work. These educational trainings are called CEU’s (Continuing Education Credits). I am going to attempt to break down the process in bulleted form to keep the dense amount of information palatable.
First, some background on the DoD mandated instruction (C188.8.131.52.) :
- Completion of sustainment training (CEU’s) are required to maintain certification status.
- For planning purposes: the standard is normally a minimum of 20-40 hours annually (of 120 hours over 3 years).
Therefore, and IAT/IAM accredited individuals must continue to participate in follow up education or the accreditation status can be revoked.
Conveniently, COMPTIA has provided a simplified path for this mandate:
- 50 CEU’s are required for maintaining certification status within a 3-year period.
- There is no yearly requirement for completion of CEU’s.
- Annual fee is $49 (PVM employees will be reimbursed).
How do you earn credits?
- By going to work!
- You can earn 9 credits by submitting your work experience in a letter on company letterhead, signed by your supervisor,to the COMPTIA website. Submissions are limited to 1 per CE year.
- There is a limit on the number of CEUs that can be earned per activity
- For example, you cannot listen to 50 hours of lectures and earn 3 years of credits in one go. Sorry 🙁
Hopefully these quick tips help to keep you on track for your career and life goals. We are working on providing more opportunities to earn CEU’s utilizing the activities outlined in the COMPTIA guidance. Stay up to date with our blog and website in the future to keep your CEU’s in compliance!